Welcome to Instructional Technology
The spring 2009 Sakai sites are now ready for faculty use. There has been a positive response to Shepherd University’s new learning management system. Many faculty have expressed that Sakai is a great improvement for the academic community. If you have not had a chance to work with Sakai, or perhaps may be a little reluctant, I would like to reassure you that there is help and support to get you on your way to utilizing the learning management system in your class.
Here are a few comments from Students and Faculty who use Sakai:
- All around well designed and more useful than WEBCT or Moodle. Easy to set up and use. Students rated it highly.
- It had almost no barrier to entry. I could start using it immediately.
- I felt this was a step up from WebCT. Most of my students agreed.
- I would strongly recommend Sakai.
- It was MUCH easier to learn than WebCT. It functioned well, overall and has lots of features.
- It's cheaper, easier and more sophisticated in terms of feature offerings than WebCT.
- Thank you for hosting this experiment!
- Flexibility, easy to learn, available everywhere, ease of linking, Assignment tool very good.
- Sakai is more of an easier use than WebCT because everything is pretty much laid out with everything that is needed. It is really self explanatory, which makes it easier for the user.
- Well, for the most part I thought Sakai was a good learning tool. I prefer it far better than Web CT, it has more options. I especially liked the resource section, it was very useful for this class for PowerPoint and for another one of my classes in the music dept. as well.
- I used Sakai for two of my classes this semester. For both classes, I found the resource section of the site extremely useful. Having my teachers post materials from class for me go to back and use made my studying easier.
- I enjoyed Sakai MUCH more than WebCT. Even though Sakai had some minor bugs initially, we told our professor what was going on and the changes were made very quickly. The wiki feature is insanely helpful, and overall there is just so much more ease of use involved when it comes to Sakai.
- Here are some of the tools Sakai offers:
- You will NOT need to input your student roster. Shepherd University Rosters are already generated into your Sakai site. You will NOT have to sign up for a Sakai site. Classes are already generated into Sakai. Just simply log in to courses.shepherd.edu and your class/site will be at the top of the Sakai page next to QuickLinks.
- Again, I want to let you know that I am here to assist you in all your Sakai needs. I would be more than happy to get you started, train and assist you with your Sakai class/site. Just give me a call or email me.
If you are thinking about using Sakai (or any other type of technology) for your spring 2009 course, I will be more than happy to assist you. There are many training types available for faculty and staff. Here are a few: departmental training sessions, one-on-one training sessions, and group training sessions. I can also come to your office. I am here to help you help others learn through technology integration.