Do you have a question you would like included on this list? Email Professor Monica Larson and she'll provide the answer.


Amelia on a Mac

About Us: Frequently Asked Questions

What kind of job can I get when I graduate with a Comm degree?

Graduates have gone on to work in

  • television
  • radio
  • film
  • Web development
  • public relations
  • news
  • writing
  • sales
  • marketing
  • advertising

Still other graduates have gone on to graduate school in areas as diverse as acting. See our Careers section for a look at what some of our graduates are doing.

Do I need to have a minor?

Yes. If you are a Comm major you will need to declare a minor and fulfill its course requirements.

Can I both major and minor in Comm?

It depends! Students may not major in Comm and minor in either Digital Filmmaking or New Media — the classes overlap. (No double dipping!) However, students are allowed to major in Comm and minor in Business & Organizational Communications.

What is the difference between a BS and BA degree?

Communication majors may get either a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree or a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree. The BA requires a student to take credits of a language. The BS does not.

What kind of computers do you use?

We use iMac computers in the classroom because of their superior ability to render graphics. However, the majority of software programs we use are also available for PCs.

I'm thinking of buying a computer. What kind should I get?

If you have the financial resources, we would recommend a Mac. Many students like to use laptops because they can bring their own machine to class.

Who is my advisor?

If you are an incoming Freshman, contact the admissions office for advisement. If you are a current student you can find your advisor on RAIL.

When is the computer lab open?

See the schedule.

I am a transfer student; will my courses count at Shepherd University?

What courses count will depend upon the courses you took and the grades you received in those courses. Transfer students must have a "transcript evaluation" (completed upon admission) to determine which courses from your previous institution(s) will count toward requirements in our program.

How do I get a show on WSHC?

In the beginning of each semester students attend an organizational meeting where time slots are assigned. For more information contact Todd Cotgreave, the station's Chief Operating Officer.

Do I need to buy all my own equipment?

The department has equipment (lights, cameras, recorders etc.) for students to sign out.