Join the Shepherd University Common Reading discussion on Sakai!
This is an open, shared space for any student or member of the campus community to participate in discussion boards, access and share resources, and spark a conversation about the 2014-2015 Common Reading, novel, “I Am Malala” by Malala Yousafza. You must have a Shepherd email to sign in.
How to join:
Log in to Sakai https://courses.shepherd.edu/portal/
Click on “Membership” tab on the left side of your screen
Select “Common Reading”
You are now a member of the site and can participate in discussion boards, access resources, and receive announcements when new content is added. Insensitive and profane remarks are prohibited and will be removed by the moderators. Thank you for your participation!
Girl Rising discussion guide: for use with documentary (available in Library DVD collection) – examines the positive impact of education on the lives of girls around the world
- Scarborough Library/Common Reading research guide: http://libguides.shepherd.edu/c.php?g=62884
- Discussion Questions: http://www.littlebrown.com/rgg/MALALA_RGG.pdf
- Inspiring Ted Talk by Malala’s father, Ziauddin Yousafzai: http://www.ted.com/talks/ziauddin_yousafzai_my_daughter_malala#t-613936
- Article on deconstructing preconceived notions of Feminism and Islam: http://everydayfeminism.com/2014/07/solidarity-with-muslim-women/
- Book banning: “I Am Malala” banned in Pakistan schools: http://globalnews.ca/news/957938/tool-of-the-west-pakistani-private-schools-ban-malalas-book/