Meeting of the
BOARD OF GOVERNORS
December 12, 2002
Agenda Item No. 10
CLASSIFIED SALARY POLICY UPDATE
At the October meeting of the Board, the Finance Committee was assigned the task of continuing the review of the conceptual framework within which salary policy for classified employees should be established. The Finance Committee will continue its review of this issue during its committee meeting.
The Board's discretion in this area is regulated to some degree by both State statutes and by Policy Commission rules.
1. Each employee is classified into a job title and pay grade. The salary scale correlates pay grade and years of service. The salary scale is not mandatory, due to being unfunded.
2. Non-Exempt employees may not be paid more than the amount designated for their pay grade and experience.
3. Exempt employees may be paid more than their salary schedule rate, but only if all exempt employees are paid at least the scheduled amount.
POLICY COMMISSION ISSUES:
1. All employees must be paid at least the statutory "Entry Rate" after July 1, 2004.
2. Institution is expected to make steady progress toward funding of the salary schedule, but no mandated deadline exists.
At the November meeting of the Board, the Classified Employees Council agreed to prepare a list of their requests relating to salary concerns. That list will be presented by the CEC at the Board meeting.