Article 1: The Board of Governors
The official name of the Board shall be "The Shepherd University Board of Governors." The Board of Governors and their successors in office are created by the people of West Virginia through the Code of West Virginia as a public body, known as The Shepherd University Board of Governors, with the power of general supervision and control over the academic and business affairs of the institution. The Board shall consist of thirteen members:
* One full-time member of the faculty with the rank of instructor or above duly elected by the faculty;
* One member of the student body in good academic standing, enrolled for college credit work and duly elected by the student body;
* One member of the institutional classified staff duly elected by the classified staff;
* The Chair of the Board of Governors of the Community and Technical College of Shepherd, ex officio and non-voting; and
* Nine lay members appointed by the Governor by and with the advice and consent of the Senate. Of the appointed lay members, the Governor shall appoint one superintendent of a county board of education from the area served by the institution.
Of the nine members appointed by the Governor, no more than five may be of the same political party. At least six of the members shall be residents of the state. The student member shall serve for a term of one year. The term beginning in July, two thousand one, shall end on the thirtieth day of June, two thousand two. Thereafter, the term shall begin on the first day of July. The faculty member and the classified staff member shall serve for a term of two years. The term beginning in July, two thousand one, shall end on the thirtieth day of June, two thousand three. Thereafter, the term shall begin on the first day of July. The appointed lay citizen members shall serve terms of four years each. The appointed lay citizen members shall be eligible to succeed themselves for no more than one additional term.
A vacancy in an unexpired term of a member shall be filled for the unexpired term within thirty days of the occurrence of the vacancy in the same manner as the original appointment or election. Except in the case of a vacancy, all elections shall be held and all appointments shall be made no later than the thirtieth day of June preceding the commencement of the term, except the election of officers for the term beginning in July, two thousand one shall be made that July. The Board of Governors shall elect one of its appointed lay members to be chairperson in June of each year. No member may serve as chairperson for more than two consecutive years.
Other than in the case of written resignation submitted to the Board, each member shall remain in office until a successor has been established by the required process. No member of the Board shall be eligible to appointment to any paid employment in the University.