Shepherd has subscribed to Business and Legal Reports (BLR.com), a service that offers training programs on safety issues and general human resources issues for faculty and staff. Training modules can be delivered in two ways–Desktop Tutorials or PowerPoint Presentations. This project was funded jointly by the Safety Committee, the Classified Employees Council, and the Human Resources Office.
Examples of training topics include the following:
- Back Safety
- Bloodborne Pathogens
- Fire Safety
- First Aid
- Hand and Power Tools
- Noise/Hearing Protection
- Customer Service
- Hiring and Interviewing
- Sexual Harassment
- Supervisory and Management Skills
- Health Issues
- Drugs and Alcohol
- Workplace Violence
Please click on the links below for complete lists of topics available to Shepherd University employees.
- BLR Desktop Tutorials for HR Topics
- BLR Training PowerPoint Presentations for HR Topics
- BLR Desktop Tutorials for Safety Topics
- BLR Training PowerPoint Presentations for Safety Topics
Options for delivery of training programs
(1) Training modules can be sent directly to employees’ computers so that they can complete them individually at their convenience; or (2) pre-developed PowerPoint presentations can be downloaded and delivered to groups of employees. When the training has been completed by individuals at their computers, the system will provide a test on the material covered in the training session and then, when they pass the test, they will get a certificate that they can print. Speaker’s notes, tests and certificates also are available if PowerPoint presentations are used.
Staff and faculty members who want to order training for themselves or for their staffs may do so by contacting Tammy Gill (email@example.com) or Marian Willauer (firstname.lastname@example.org). Individual employees may feel free to order training for themselves at any time. There may be times when training will be mandatory for all employees (such as safety training required by Federal or State law) but for the most part this training is being provided — free of charge to departments and individual employees — on a voluntary basis. Shepherd pays a flat rate for this service, and there are no limits on how much we can use it.