Main Menu

Before You Go

The Basics

  1. If you have already identified a program, or are ready to begin your search in earnest, visit and explore the Study Abroad Office website and Create an account.
  2. You are always welcome to contact us or stop by for advising if you have questions.  Once you have narrowed your options to a few programs or locations, visit the Study Abroad Office and meet with Yin Star, to discuss your selections and ask questions.  Download our brainstorming worksheet to help you prepare for your advising session. You can also read program testimonies written by former study abroad participants.
  3. Meet with your academic advisor to see how study abroad will fit into your academic program using the course approval form. Ask if you will need course syllabi in addition to course descriptions.  Complete the form and take them to the Registrar’s Office.
  4. Apply to study abroad through your study abroad account.
  5. Once you are accepted to study abroad, apply online for the program and follow all application and enrollment
  6. Am I eligible to study abroad?  You may travel on most Shepherd trips your first year. For Shepherd faculty-led programs, you must be in “good academic standing”. Please note that individual departments and instructors may require higher standards and/or additional requirements as pre-requisites. Contact the individual department for details. For non-Shepherd programs, you must have completed 30 credit hours (15 hours at Shepherd) AND have a GPA of at
    least 2.5 for undergraduates. Graduate students need a minimum 3.0 GPA. Non-Shepherd programs may require a higher GPA. You must be in good judicial standing.
  7. When calculating the costs of a study abroad program, it’s important to consider the program’s duration, the number
    of credits you can expect to receive, and what the program’s price does and does not include. Be sure to have a look at our study abroad Budget Planning Worksheet to help compare costs for different programming.  Some things to consider when thinking about cost:

    • Does the program fee include housing, food, transportation, and books?
    • The costs of your round-trip airfare, passport, visa, and insurance are generally not included in study abroad program fees.
    • When considering affordability, review the financial resources available to you and create a personal budget to include personal savings, job earnings, parent contributions, financial aid, and confirmed scholarships.
    • Check with Danielle Duvall in financial aid to determine whether you qualify for additional assistance.

Get your passport

Visa/Entry Documents

Purchase Student Abroad Insurance

The Global Medical Plan sponsored by Shepherd University is a short term travel accident and sickness policy. This plan is
designed to cover students, faculty, staff, chaperones, and participants of Shepherd University who are temporarily engaged in educational activities outside of the United States and Home Country in school sponsored education abroad programs.  Please click here to review rates and a copy of the plan benefits.

In the event of a medical emergency, one simple phone call to the number on your Assist America identification card will connect you to:

The Assist America Operations Center is staffed 24-hours-a-day, 365-days- a-year with trained multilingual and medical personnel, including nurses and doctors, to advise and assist you quickly and professionally.

If you require medical assistance and are outside your country of permanent residence, call Assist America’s Operations Center at:

1-800-872-1414 (inside USA)      +1-609-986-1234 (outside USA)     Or e-mail at:

Global Emergency Services Program – key services and emergency card         Assist America Mobile apps – download free app

Claim Form      Personal Effects Claim Form

Order prescription medications

If you take prescription medications regularly, there are some things to consider when studying abroad.

Register your Trip

Register your trip in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program. STEP is a free service of the U.S. Department of State. Through it, you can provide information about your trip so that they can better assist you in case of an emergency and provide important health, safety and security updates for your host country.

Taking Care of University Business



Sending Transcripts back to Shepherd: