An energetic contemporary art program that prepares students for professional careers in the arts. A student-focused program creating challenging, relevant experiences, that reach beyond the classroom:
- Travel to New York City, Washington D.C., Baltimore and other metropolitan areas in the mid-Atlantic region.
- Two-week or longer travel opportunities include major cities of Europe and have included Egypt, Cuba, Mali in west Africa, Peru, China and Viet Nam
- Lecture and exhibit opportunities both on campus and in nearby metropolitan areas.
- Internships and Co-ops
We believe in professional experience:
- upper division students are engaged in producing work for outside clients.
- Students in graphic design and photography currently produce work printed and utilized by Antietam National Battlefield, NPS, Sharpsburg, MD and the National Capitol Region, NPS, Washington D.C. and Baltimore.
- Students in the studio arts are expected to exhibit and compete successfully in regional juried competitions, produce commissioned art works, participate in residency programs, and secure placement in graduate schools.
The Department of Contemporary Art at Shepherd Offers:
- A campus of approximately 5,000 students/200 art majors - large enough to provide diversity and opportunity yet small enough to allow for individual attention.
- A location in historic Shepherdstown 65 miles from Baltimore and Washington D.C. - a small and peaceful setting for education with easy access to museums and galleries of the city.
- A full-time faculty dedicated to teaching and actively practicing in their respective fields. The faculty are complemented by a select group of professional artists, photographers, graphic designers and educators who teach part-time.
- An emphasis on the contemporary art world based in a sound understanding of the past.
- An exhibition and visiting artist program providing additional exposure to contemporary art and artists.
- Opportunities for student exhibitions and competitive shows.
- Programs designed to provide a sold foundation while encouraging experimentation.
- A strong program in studio art, art history and a balanced program of liberal arts to develop your abilities both creatively and intellectually.
- An excellent reputation and successful graduate placement.