Application Procedure for Incoming Students
The Department of Contemporary Art and Theater offers a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree in art education (K-12) and a Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.) degree in graphic design, non-toxic printmaking, painting and drawing, photography/computer imagery, or sculpture. The Department of Contemporary Art and Theater is designed to provide students with a diversified experience in art, as well as an in-depth experience in one concentration area. Through a series of courses, students will develop the technical skills, language, and critical thinking associated with the visual arts, along with the broad-based knowledge of the liberal arts--both essential for growing creatively and professionally as artists, graphic designers, photographers, and future educators.
In order to maintain a quality learning environment, admission into the Department of Contemporary Art and Theater is both selective and competitive. Acceptance into the university does NOT guarantee a student acceptance into the art programs. Therefore, in addition to the university's general admission requirements, applicants interested in majoring in art are required to also submit a Department Application Packet (see guidelines below).
Due to the sequential nature of the curriculum, it is recommended that students begin their studies in art in the fall semester to insure a smooth transition into the department and a firm academic start in the chosen concentration area.
Guidelines for the Department Application Packet:
- COMPLETED Department Application Form
- STATEMENT OF PURPOSE (typed): 100-300 words explaining why you want to pursue art as your major at Shepherd University
- 12-20 SAMPLES OF YOUR BEST WORK: JPEG images on a CD (either in a folder or in a PowerPoint presentation) or 8"x10" color prints will be accepted. Number images 1-20. Do NOT send actual work!
- ASSOCIATED IMAGE LIST (typed), which should include the following information: Appropriate number (1-20), Applicant's full name, Media (painting, photography, mixed media, etc.), Size (width x height), Date of Completion
- SELF-ADDRESSED, STAMPED ENVELOPE (SASE) OR MAILING PACKET with sufficient postage for return of materials (optional).
For full consideration, the Department Application Packet should be postmarked by the following dates:
- Early Decision :: November 1, notification will be mailed by January 1st
- Priority Deadline :: March 1, notification will be mailed by April 1st
- Final Deadline :: April 15, notification will be mailed by May 15th
- Final Deadline :: November 1, notification will be mailed by December 1st
Application for admission to the Department of Contemporary Art and Theater should be mailed directly to:
Department of Contemporary Art and Theater
P.O. Box 5000
Shepherdstown, WV 25443
For specific questions regarding the department application process, please contact the Enrollment Coordinator.
* All application materials associated with the admission to Shepherd University should be mailed to the Office of Admissions at the address listed on the the university application forms.