Look for these two features after the residency:
Schedule of Events
Monday, October 1, 2007
- 4:00 p.m. Screening of "Awakenings" from Emmy and Peabody award-winning Eyes on the Prize. Robert C. Byrd Center for Legislative Studies
- 7:00 p.m. Screening of Wonders of the African World, Reynolds Hall, Shepherd University, co-sponsored by the Shepherdstown Film Society (book signing)
Tuesday, October 2, 2007
- 2:00 p.m. Screening of "Freedom on My Mind" from Eyes on the Prize. Robert C. Byrd Center for Legislative Studies
- 7:00 p.m. "One Writer's Roots: The Critic's Corner and Colored People," Reynolds Hall, co-sponsored by the Friends of the Shepherdstown Library and the Shepherd University of Teaching and Learning (reception)
Wednesday, October 3, 2007
- 1:00 p.m. Screening of "The Terrible Transformation" and "Revolution" from Peabody award-winning film Africans in America. Robert C. Byrd Center for Legislative Studies.
- 8:00 p.m. Scarborough Society Lecture "Speaking of Race and Appalachia," Henry Louis Gates, Jr. Frank Theater, presentation of the Appalachian Heritage Writer's Award to Dr. Gates and presentation of West Virginia New Writers' Fiction Competition Awards, (reception and book signing)
Thursday, October 4, 2007
- 1:00 p.m. Screening of "Brotherly Love" and "Judgement Day" from Peabody award-winning film Africans in America. Robert C. Byrd Center for Legislative Studies.
- 2:30 p.m. Writers Master Class with Ethan Fischer, Editor of Antietam Review, Four Seasons Book Store, Shepherdstown
- 4:00 p.m. The Storer College Story and the Question of Race in West Virginia. Robert C. Byrd Center for Legislative Studies, A Discussion of An American Phoenix: A History of Storer College from Slavery to Desegregation, 1865-1955, Dr. Dawne Raines Burke (book signing and reception)
- 7:00 p.m. Remembering Race and Class in Appalachia, Robert C. Byrd Center for Legislative Studies, A Discussion of Red, White, Black and Blue: Dual Memoir of Race and Class in Appalachia, William M. Drennen, Jr. and Kojo (William T.) Jones, Jr.(book signing and reception)
Friday, October 5, 2007
- 8 p.m. 12th Annual Appalachian Heritage Festival Concert, Frank Theater.
Saturday, October 6, 2007
- Appalachian Heritage Festival Activities
- 8 p.m. 12th Annual Appalachian Heritage Festival Concert
The 2007 Appalachian Heritage Writer-in-Residence Program is made possible with financial support from the West Virginia Humanities Council, the West Virginia Center for the Book, and the Shepherd University Foundation.