a. All students, faculty, and staff are responsible for understanding and complying with the university’s stated academic requirements.
- Student grades are based solely on academic performance as measured by the standards set forth in the course syllabus.
- Students should feel free to express their thoughts and opinions in an academic forum.
- Assignments must be completed by the student for whom the work is assigned and in the absence of unauthorized aid of any kind.
- Instructors shall encourage honest effort by exercising care in planning and supervising academic work.
- A student who does not comply with the University’s honesty standard may be subject to appropriate penalties imposed by the instructor, and even to academic probation, suspension, or dismissal.
- The policies regarding both academic standing and academic dishonesty are outlined in the Shepherd University Catalog.
b. Students who choose to enroll at Shepherd have the following academic rights.
- The right of access to the Shepherd University Catalog, that describes all academic program requirements including: required courses, total credit requirements, residence requirements, special program requirements, minimum grade point average requirements, probation standards, professional standards, and other pertinent information.
- The right to a written syllabus containing the academic requirements of, and the instructor’s expectations for the course.
(a) Course syllabi will be distributed by instructors of record, and should contain information pertaining to: attendance policies, grading procedures, course information, special requirements including field trips, extra costs, and other pertinent matters.
(b) Students have the right of appeal if they are discriminated against due to: race, color, national origin, age, gender, familial or associational status, disabilities, religion, or sexual orientation.