Accolades and Honors
- Participated (with extreme pride) in the dual accreditation visits from the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education and the West Virginia Board of Examiners for Registered Professional Nurses and the overall institutional site visit as part of the Higher Learning Commission’s Pathways accreditation process—each visit was very positive and complimentary to Shepherd’s outstanding faculty, staff, and students.
- Celebrated the extraordinary academic and athletic accomplishments of Shepherd’s faculty, directors, staff, and students as they distinguished themselves in state and national competitions.
- 143rd Commencement Ceremony:
- Selected The Honorable James A. Leach, Chair in Public Affairs, Visiting Professor of Law and Senior Scholar at the University of Iowa, as the Commencement speaker. Mr. Leach joined the College of Law after serving most recently as the Chairman of the National Endowment for the Humanities. He is best known for his 30 years of service as a representative in Congress where he chaired the Banking and Financial Services Committee, the Subcommittee on Asian and Pacific Affairs, and the Congressional-Executive Commission on China. He spoke about the importance of promoting civility in politics and personal discourse.
- Selected Dr. Sylvia Manning and Mr. Thomas Blondell as recipients of the 2016 President’s Award during commencement, recognizing their special contributions to Shepherd during their time here.
- Selected Mr. William Randy Smith as Doctor of Humane Letters honorary award recipient, acknowledging his noteworthy philanthropic contributions to the community.